The Detroit Science Center has a strong commitment to providing exciting educational opportunities and outstanding visitor service. You can be part of our team by volunteering your time. Volunteers help with every aspect of the Science Center’s operations from conducting demonstrations to giving directions. You can commit as little as 4 hours per month or as much time as you like. Shifts are available 7 days a week, mornings, afternoons and some evenings. There are two types of volunteer opportunities:
Pi Society Docent Science Program
Pi Society volunteers should:
- Be age 21 or older
- Be able to commit to at least 8 hours per month
- Have a strong science or engineering background
- Have a BS degree or equivalent experience
- Be interested in working with the public explaining the science behind the exhibits
Newton Society Science Program
Newton Society volunteers should:
- Be at least 16 years or older
- Be able to commit at least 4 hours per month
- Have a strong desire to learn
- Be interested in assisting visitors, helping with clerical projects or working behind-the-scenes
All volunteers receive individual and group training appropriate to their assignment, free general admission for themselves as long as they are an active volunteer, discounts in the gift shop and café, invitations to volunteer-only events and a free, one-year family membership after 100 hours of service.
All volunteers must complete an application and interview. A background check is conducted on all volunteer applicants 18 years or older. Volunteers ages 16 and 17 must provide a work permit from their school.
Join Us Now
For more information
call , ext. , or e-mail
Volunteers must be at least 16 years old and complete an application, interview, criminal background check and orientation.